About The Lake
“The Gibson Lake Cottage Association represents the Community of Gibson Lake, Muskoka. The community consists of people who reside seasonally or permanently at Gibson Lake at owned or leased property.”
Gibson Lake is located an hour and a half from Toronto, Ontario accessed from Highway 400 north, fomerly known as highway #103 and highway #69. The Lake is also locted 45 minutes north of Barrie and is accessed by Highway 400 interchange #174, just north of Six Mile Lake. It is a 7km long lake that is land-locked and flows into Georgian Bay via the Gibson River. The lake comprises of two sections with the narrows connecting the North end to the South end. The first cottagers purchased property here in the early 1950’s when the land was originally subdivided. There are presently 200 families on the lake with an increasing number of permanent residents.
The North-East portion, about 25% of total lake frontage, is Wahta Mohawk Reserve. Cottgae lots are leased from the reserve.
How the Lake was named
Gibson Lake was named after the geographic township and Indian Reserve of the same name on June 7, 1951. The name “Gibson” was recommended rather than the local name “Black Lake” which was duplicated many times in the province. Gibson geographic township may have been named after Sir John M. Gibson who was: Lieutenant Governor of Ontario 1908-1914; Provincial Secretary 1889 to 1896; Commissioner of Crown Lands 1896-1899; Attorney General from 1899-1904; and Minister without portfolio between 1904 and 1905 or it may have been named after Thomas Gibson, M.P.P for Huron North 1871-1875-1879. (Please note that a Lieutenant Colonel J.M Gibson was an Honarary Aides-de-Camp to the Governor General of Canada in 1894).
Information provided by Jeff ball, Geographic Names Specialist, Ministry of Natural Resources.